Why might just need a Side Hustle ASAP:
Table of Contents
Before picking a side hustle, or if you’re still contemplating if even pursing extra money on the side is worth it, start by asking yourself these questions below:
- What do you need extra money for?
- An extra $500 a month take home is equivalent to getting a 12% raise at work on a $50,000 salary, does that sound great?
- You will only be young once (Grant Cardone has a great article about this).
- With 78% of adult Americans living paycheck to paycheck, are you one of them? If so you might need a side hustle.
- What is something you’re interested in?
- Since most side hustles are flexible, when do you have time to pursue one?
- How much debt do you have?
- How big is your savings account?
- Are you currently investing?
- Can a side hustle actually propel a business of your own?
Got your answers?
Now that you’re more aware of what you are looking for in a side hustle idea, be it padding your savings or paying off those nasty school loans, here is list of all the different side hustle ideas you can start pursuing… today!
See also, 21 Ways to Make $500 Fast
50 Stupid Simple Side Hustle Ideas
1. Do Some Yard Work
Did he really just say go outside and do some yard work?
Yes, you read that correctly.
Go back to one of the original side hustles you did when you were ten years old and mow some grass!
Whether you own a house or not, you can land a few mowing clients and make an extra $20 to $50 per cut – depending on the size of the yard!
Simply follow these steps:
- Pass out flyers where you live
- Talk to your neighbors
- Invest in a few things at Home Depot (Shovels, blower, trimmers)
- Even consider getting an LLC is you start raking it in!
Yard work side hustle ideas include:
- Mowing grass weekly or bi-weekly ($20-$50)
- Fertilizing 4x annually ($200+ annually)
- Trimming bushes & ornamentals 2x per year ($5 per bush or tree)
- Aerating spring and fall ($25 and up)
- Up charging aerating with overseeding ($15 and up)
- Cleanout, edging and mulching spring and fall ($125 and up)
- Shoveling snow ($20 and up)
Personal Update (2019): I used to help operate a landscaping business with my brother and this is a lucrative side hustle idea that gets you outside/can be pretty fun. I recently needed this tool (Manual aerator for my yard):
I am going to use it for my yard then ask my neighbors if they want me to aerate their yard and overseed it for them for $35 a yard. These are townhomes so I estimate it will take about 10 minutes per yard.
12 Yards x 10 Minutes = 2 hours and $420. Estimated expenses = $50 for seed and the tool! Side hustle profit = $370!!!
2. Blogging as a side hustle.
Yes, you can make money blogging.
I will never forget the first time a company reached out and offered me $50 to include their brand in an article. A few months later I was offered $200, then $300, and so on!
With affiliates, sponsored posts and ad’s you can blog as a side hustle, or even make a substantial income blogging. I am not saying you will be the next Arianna Huffington, but just check out this blogger who has made millions.
Note: The biggest factor to keep in mind when blogging is that blogging is a long term side hustle. Blogging will not generate income overnight. To learn more about blogging, use the article below:
Are you looking to start a blog to make some extra income?
Learn how to start a blog here and get the step by step guide you need to create a profitable blog!
3. Direct Sales or Network Marketing
Ok, I said it.
Yes, we have all logged onto Facebook and seen leggings, candles and maybe some belly wraps for sale.
But direct sales get a bad wrap (ha get it). Direct selling businesses have been credited with allowing mothers to stay at home and still earn an income and the industry as increased with the growing presence of online shopping since 2011, whether you like it or not.
There are also some tax deductions that can be very beneficial when you own home-based business. Often times, most direct sales companies teach a form of entrepreneurship and have low start-up costs.
|Pros of Direct Sales||Cons of Direct Sales|
|-Low capital investments
-Can be lucrative with large network
-Teach leadership & communication skills
-Help others learn about business ownership
|– Will need to develop/possess strong communication skills
– Takes time to develop stable ongoing income
– Can be tough to find willing participants to join the team
– Negative perception of MLM’s
-Most underestimate the effort to be successful with network marketing
Here is a list of direct sales companies.
4. Tutoring as a Side Hustle
There are bloggers who have made up to $33.60 an hour (net) with an online tutoring gig using a tutoring platform such as Wyzant.
Online tutoring is a growing niche with more parents wanting their kids to be successful, go to college, or become proficient in English (Tutoring foreign language learners).
You can tutor online with Wyzant or this complete list of online tutoring companies:
- Aim for A Tutoring
- Connections Academy
- For a complete list, use this link.
Tutoring was once something teachers did on the side, but it has become a very common side hustle with the presence of the internet. Students need support, especially in the math and science fields. You can also tutor English language learners in China with
|Pros of Tutoring||Cons of Tutoring|
– Get to help students
– Easy to find work
– Pays well
|– Can be stressful at times
– Online tutoring doesn’t pay as well as traditional tutoring
– Hands-on approach, not passive
Note: Using online tutoring is convenient, but these companies take a large cut of the tutoring fees. If you can find a few clients that live locally you can control your rates and time, and you get to keep 100% of what you earn!
5. IT Consulting Side Hustle
Obviously, consulting for IT companies needs to fall within your niche, but if you have a strong IT background, you can make an average of $75 an hour.
Whether you pick up contract work, over time, or work for another company, there is plenty of work to go around in the IT sector. Consider using Upwork or Fivver to land your first consulting gig.
As you establish yourself word of mouth marketing is one of the best ways to land another gig and so on!